Jump to content
OpenRCT2
SensualEthiopianPolice

Which coaster is hardest for you to build with?

Recommended Posts

I know of at least three actual coasters that use a booster type of track in the middle of the run. Maverick at Cedar Point uses a launched initial out of the station and returns underneath the entrance/exit station in the dark and then uses a booster to launch into the second half of the ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's all the coasters I can think of that have a mid ride launch - that is, at any point after the first lift, launch, or significant element (I did not count rides with a turn or pre-show between the station and launch). This doesn't include coasters such as White Dragon in the Sky that make multiple passes through the first launch, nor shuttle coasters that run multiple circuits (like Impulse coasters). It's probably not an exhaustive list.

  • Maverick
  • Taron
  • Cheetah Hunt
  • Helix
  • Manta (the Mack one, not the B&M)
  • Volcano: The Blast coaster
  • Full Throttle
  • Verbolten
  • Mission Ferrari (what the hell is this thing, it looks like T Rex track but it's not, and it has 5 launches?)

 

The following coasters have both a lift and launch. This is harder to handle in RCT2 than multiple launches, because you can't use a hacked chain lift. In fact, I don't know if there's any way to do it other than a shoestring.

  • Takabisha
  • Fluch von Novgorod
  • Powder Keg
  • Maverick (depending on whether you count the first hill as a lift or launch)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to combine a giga with a cable lift hill for the first hill and a looping with powered launch passing station underground to get a desired result. I got the idea from a park I downloaded.

Edited by CharlieP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cable lift is a clever way around it, I didn't think of that one. Only works if the lift is straight out of the station, however - you couldn't do Takabisha this way because the lift is mid-circuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2016 at 06:23, X7123M3-256 said:

The following coasters have both a lift and launch. This is harder to handle in RCT2 than multiple launches, because you can't use a hacked chain lift. In fact, I don't know if there's any way to do it other than a shoestring.

  • Takabisha
  • Fluch von Novgorod
  • Powder Keg
  • Maverick (depending on whether you count the first hill as a lift or launch)

You're forgetting Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars from that list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually my favorite mine train coaster. It has 2 lift hills, 1 of which functions as a switchback, then the second switchback is located just before the launch.

 

Edited by YoloSweggLord
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2016 at 06:23, X7123M3-256 said:

Here's all the coasters I can think of that have a mid ride launch - that is, at any point after the first lift, launch, or significant element (I did not count rides with a turn or pre-show between the station and launch). This doesn't include coasters such as White Dragon in the Sky that make multiple passes through the first launch, nor shuttle coasters that run multiple circuits (like Impulse coasters). It's probably not an exhaustive list.

  • Maverick
  • Taron
  • Cheetah Hunt
  • Helix
  • Manta (the Mack one, not the B&M)
  • Volcano: The Blast coaster
  • Full Throttle
  • Verbolten
  • Mission Ferrari (what the hell is this thing, it looks like T Rex track but it's not, and it has 5 launches?)

 

The following coasters have both a lift and launch. This is harder to handle in RCT2 than multiple launches, because you can't use a hacked chain lift. In fact, I don't know if there's any way to do it other than a shoestring.

  • Takabisha
  • Fluch von Novgorod
  • Powder Keg
  • Maverick (depending on whether you count the first hill as a lift or launch)

 

Notice that many (if not all) of these coasters opened after RCT2 was released

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only one on the list that opened before RCT2 was released is Volcano: The Blast Coaster. RCT2's ride selection is getting rather out of date; there's lots of old ride types from defunct manufacturers that aren't commonly seen these days (in fact, I think the majority of default rides fall in this category), while many of the most commonly seen ride types today are missing (Most Intamin rides are missing, there's nothing at all from Gerstlauer).

Indeed, I had a look through the "new for 2016" rides on RCDB to see how many are actually in the vanilla game. Of 198 coasters, I found

 

 

  • 4 Reverchon Spinning Coasters
  • 2 Zierer Junior Coasters
  • 2 Intamin Mega Coasters (albeit with new track and trains that are not in the game)
  • 1 B&M Flying Coaster
  • 2 Schwarzkopf Looping Coasters (one relocated, and one is a travelling coaster, it moves every year)
  • 1 B&M Mega Coaster (There's also an unknown B&M that may be a mega coaster)
  • 5 Vekoma Boomerangs (whether this is in the game is debatable; the corkscrew train is an Arrow, but even in the default scenarios it's used as a Vekoma, and many older Boomerangs did run Arrow trains)
  • 1 GCI Wooden Coaster
  • 1 B&M Dive Coaster (nothing like the version that's depicted in the game though)
  • 1 B&M Sitdown Looping Coaster (relocated)

That's about 10% of the total. The low percentage isn't necessarily meaningful - a lot of the rides are kiddy coasters or Chinese knock-offs, and wouldn't really add much to the game if they were included. For the sake of comparison, I decided to look at 2002, the year the game was released:

 

  • 2 B&M Inverted Coasters
  • 2 B&M Floorless Coasters
  • 1 Arrow Mine Train (Relocated)
  • 3 Zierer Junior Coasters
  • 1 RCCA Wooden Coaster (runs Intamin trains, so you could argue this shouldn't be included)
  • 4 Reverchon Spinning Coasters
  • 2 B&M Flying Coasters
  • 1 Intamin Mega Coaster
  • 1 Schwarzkopf Looping Coaster (relocated)
  • 2 CCI Wooden Coasters (One does not run PTC trains so probably shouldn't be included)
  • 2 Vekoma SLCs
  • 5 Mack Wild Mouse (that the game's wild mouse is Mack is an assumption based on the fact that Flying Dutchman Gold Mine is a prebuilt - if it was intended to be a generic wild mouse, there would be a few more to include)
  • 1 Vekoma LSM Coaster (as with the Vekoma boomerang, you could argue this shouldn't count)
  • 1 B&M Mega Coaster
  • 2 Schwarzkopf Jets (relocated)
  • 1 Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang
  • 1 Intamin Impulse Coaster
  • 1 Arrow 4th dimension coaster (the only Arrow on the list not relocated)

 

That's about 28% of the total for that year. It also represents a much larger percentage of the "major" ride installations (i.e not kiddie coasters or rides by obscure manufacturers). There weren't many "major" rides built in 2002 that aren't represented in the game; notable is Xcelerator and Winjas, as these ride types would go on to become fairly common.

 

This isn't necessarily the best comparison; aside from including a bunch of uninteresting rides, it would be more informative to look at which rides a typical park has rather than which were being built new at the time. By the time the game was released, Arrow, TOGO, and Schwarzkopf were out of business, but at that time there were still quite a few of their rides around, so it still made sense to include them. Conspicuously missing is anything from Gerstlauer or Maurer. Also interesting is that almost all the B&M models are still being built (except the stand-up). The same can be said of the Vekoma Boomerang, but for a very different reason.

 

Edited by X7123M3-256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heartline is difficult, but its difficult to everybody because its rigged. I also don't like working with Side-Friction, Wooden Reverse, Stand-Up, and Mini Suspended/Flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heartline is an obvious answer, but very cliche, so I won't choose that. Honestly, I don't like the multidimensional coaster. I have no idea how to build an at least somewhat realistic multidimensional coaster. The thing that bugs me the most about it is that it cannot do sloped turns, not even unbanked ones. Add to that that it has a stupidly high nausea rating, and you have a bad coaster type on your hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LordMarcel96 said:

Heartline is an obvious answer, but very cliche, so I won't choose that. Honestly, I don't like the multidimensional coaster. I have no idea how to build an at least somewhat realistic multidimensional coaster. The thing that bugs me the most about it is that it cannot do sloped turns, not even unbanked ones. Add to that that it has a stupidly high nausea rating, and you have a bad coaster type on your hands.

The only real multidimensional coaster put Arrow out of business, and it still wasn't that great... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, saxman1089 said:

The only real multidimensional coaster put Arrow out of business, and it still wasn't that great... lol

There are three real 4th dimension coasters. One built by Arrow, and the other two by S&S who still offer them, IIRC.

 

They're hard to build in RCT2 because large coasters in general are hard to do well. I prefer to base designs on Arrow's concept layouts (which were much more modest in size) rather than what they actually built.

Edited by X7123M3-256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the Heartline is my lest favorite, but others have already brought it up and I don't build it as it is, so I won't.

What are my least favorites? Well, I really hate working with the Wild Mouse and Virginia Wheel: They're both grouped together for similar reasons, namely when I try to make them, they end up getting low excitement and high intensity stats. And trying to make them longer and less squashed together really defeats the purpose for me. The Virginia Wheel also has a considerable lack of piece to its disposal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoasterRoll said:

I would say the Heartline is my lest favorite, but others have already brought it up and I don't build it as it is, so I won't.

What are my least favorites? Well, I really hate working with the Wild Mouse and Virginia Wheel: They're both grouped together for similar reasons, namely when I try to make them, they end up getting low excitement and high intensity stats. And trying to make them longer and less squashed together really defeats the purpose for me. The Virginia Wheel also has a considerable lack of piece to its disposal.

 

There is always a reason for high intensity stats and low excitement stats. I'm guessing your lateral G's are too high. If you could post some screenshots of your coasters with bad stats I could point out where you are going wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LordMarcel96 said:

There is always a reason for high intensity stats and low excitement stats. I'm guessing your lateral G's are too high. If you could post some screenshots of your coasters with bad stats I could point out where you are going wrong.

Sure thing.

 

I didn't include the Virginia Reel stats, but they were similar to the Wild Mouse example.

 

Virginia.png

Wild Mouse.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CoasterRoll said:

Sure thing.

 

I didn't include the Virginia Reel stats, but they were similar to the Wild Mouse example.

 

 

 

See those red lateral g's? It means you're going trough the turns at a speed which is way too high. That sure isn't very comfortable for the guests. Try to make your turns on top of the hill instead of at the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that heartline just simply is a doomed coaster which can't go over 7 excitement, I'd say that I struggle most with the looping coaster. It doesn't get good excitements easily when you build them long, and it's even worse trying to get them over 11 excitement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looping coasters might not be able to achieve extremely high excitement ratings easily, but they can get decent excitement for very cheap.  Small looping coasters are great for scenarios where you want a cheap but profitable ride to get your park started.

Edited by X7123M3-256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those stupid bobsled coasters OH MY GOD!! They are a horrendous tire fire of intensity and crashes. I CAN NOT make a SINGLE FREAKING bobsled coaster without it killing alot of guests in my park because THEY ARE SO UNSTABLE AF!!

Alright, I'm gonna enter the chill zone for a sec...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...